Monday 3 August 2015

The Meeting On The Rooftop

The meeting on the rooftop
I waved my hands across the nightstand looking for the water bottle.The summer heat had parched my lips and made me sweat profusely. I continued looking for the bottle without caring to turn on the bedlamp. I finally managed to get hold of the bottle after knocking down the alarm clock on the night-stand. By the time I had quenched my thirst the bottle was already empty,I decided to get up and take out another bottle from the fridge. I switched on the bed-lamp,picked the alarm clock and looked at the time,the green digits had stopped changing after 1:39 am. Perhaps the machinery got broken when i knocked down the clock while I was looking for the bottle. I let out a sigh and decided to take a walk on the roof of my apartment after I emptied another bottle. Whenever I felt sad or was unable to sleep,I took a walk.It helped me every damn time. Furthermore it had been two weeks only since I had came to this afternoon and my hectic schedule at college and part-time job made it impossible for me to check out my apartment premises carefully leave aside the terrace. I quickly donned a nike t-shirt without caring to put a capri over my boxers and thereafter I headed to the roof. It seemed forever before the lift finally arrived at the top floor of the apartment. I finally arrived at the roof after climbing a flight of stairs. It took me a couple of minutes to soak in the view I saw from the rooftop of my apartment in salt-lake. Even though I wasn't able to see things far apart thanks to the concrete jungle but the sight of yellow lamps making it possible to see almost everything on the road on one side and the sight of CFL lamps glowing in the porches and rooms of future toppers on the other-side made me fall in love with "The City of Joy" for the hundredth time. I was still admiring the beauty of salt-lake city when a sudden voice made me jump. I looked behind to see a silhoutee of a man sitting on the water tank with a lighted ciggarete between his fingers. He said again,"This city is awesome,isn't it? It makes you fall in love with her and makes you stay with her always,sometimes even after your death." I replied,"Yes,it does.calcutta is the city of joy after all." Even though it was pretty dark,I could feel that the stranger was smiling. Without thinking much I climbed up on the on the water-tank for a possible conversation,afterall If I can chat with strangers all the time on social networking sites,what's wrong in having a conversation with a stranger you have just met. He offered me a ciggarete which I gladly accepted."If somebody ever asks me what bad things the city of joy gave to me,I would say onlyone,the habit of smoking ciggaretes as a subsitute of stress-reliever." I managed to see his face when he lighted my ciggerate,he appeared to be in his late-twenties,he had a beard on his face and it seemed that his smile hid millions of painful moments. He didn't asked my name,nor did he told me his. I didn't asked his name either,afterall this wasn't our last meet. We talked for an hour about our college,jobs and life,the more I talked with him the more I thought he was so similar to me. After an hour my eyes finally started giving away to drowsiness and I asked for leave and stepped down from the water tank. The stranger joined me too and after shaking my hand he sais,"You know kolkata will always love you back no matter what,but keep a safe distance from it's people you never know who will stab you in your back.Well I gotta go now,let's meet again tommorow." Saying this he took off and after pondering over his last sentence I returned back to my apartment. The next morning as I was leaving for my college I saw the stranger's photo on the bulletin board of the apartment. I was searching for his name when a resident of the building noticed me looking over his photo. As he passed me,he said in a sad tone,""Poor Keshob",he wasn't able to tolerate the bullies in his college and ended his life by jumping off the roof of that building",he said pointing towards my building. He continued,"this is the reason we had to restrict access to the roof." Then he went his way,nodding his head sadly, I just stood at my place in shock wondering whether I should meet him tonight or not.

For blog updates please like :- sarcastic minion


Shayon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Contributors

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Copyright © sarcastic minion ;) | Powered by Blogger
Design by Saeed Salam | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com